Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sell this House

We have quickly realized that living in a house that you are trying to sell sucks! We have been trying to sell our house since April 1st, and as of May 28th, have had only 6 showings. I have this grand idea of moving into a new house on August 30th (the day after our wedding), but that is quickly fading to just sell the house as fast as possible. I have spoken with many couples who have lived together before they were married and when asked how they feel now that they are married: their response is typical, “The same.” Maybe I am old fashion, but I want something to change, something different, something that says, “Now we are married!” But, as stated, living in a house you are trying to sell sucks, so if a good offer comes along, we will most likely take it and the dreams of moving into the house the day after our wedding fades away in the sunset. (sigh) Whoa is me.
It feels like we are living in a museum now. Each room in our house use to have it’s own feel, it’s own attitude if you must. The kitchen was black and white with the classic black and white tiled floor. The living was a dark purple, which sounds horrible, but actually worked really well with our milk chocolate couches. We had a full size and a love seat couch, giving the room a cozy feel: it was a great sitting room. The basement was my 49er basement. I had a large helmet on the wall, dartboard and big screen. 2 full size couches so my friends could come over and hang out. I have tears remembering my old basement. We had spent a week painting the up stairs various shades of light browns, and that was the last project we wanted to get done for a while: then we decide to sell the house.
Now, the whole house is a neutral color, the living room has one love seat, my basement has one couch, so if more than one person wants to stop by, they must sit on the floor. We have no pictures up, no clutter, no dirt, no…nothing. Now, the idea, as stated in previous blogs, is to stage the house. Give it a clean neutral feel that someone could move right into. We took out couches to make the rooms seem bigger, took down our pictures so a family could see their selves in the house, not Emily and I.
The upside is that we have a super clean house, the downside is that we have to make the house super clean every day. We leave every morning with the thought that someone could look at the house. Not that we were dirty people, it just puts a whole different level of stress on us living here.
We did purchase a black leather sofa and a matching recliner from a friend of mine who is moving to San Diego, so the love seat that is up stairs will move downstairs so I can have more than one person over now! The recliner will fill a much needed void in the corner of the living room. Mom has been begging us to put a plant there, but I know that it would die, really turning someone off.
So, if you know someone who needs a house in St. Charles, tell them to call me, so I can quit bitching.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll say enough of the bitching already!! How much fun are you to live with!!!!