Tuesday, March 4, 2008

An empty nest

Since I was 18, when I went off to college, I have always had roomates. I have always been a super social person and having roomates just seemed like the thing to do. When I graduated college, bought a house, and proposed to Emily, I thought my days of living with roomates was over. And, as most of you know, shortly after, Emily and I break up, and I am staring loniness directly in the face. Quickly I find a roomate and get back on track of the "good ol college days." I live this way for a while, Brad moves out, Andy moves in, and then Paul moves in. 3 guys living here and having the time of our lives.
Around July of 2007 Emily and I start dating again and in September Andy moves out to live closer to work and Pat moves in. Then, in December Emily moves in. Now, we have 4 people living in the house. I will admit, it was not the ideal situation, but since the money situation went south a year ago, financially, this was the only thing that we could do.
Honestly, the roomate situation worked out really well. Pat works nights, so he would leave around 4:30 and not get home until 10:30 or 11:00. Paul had to be at work at 5:30am every day, so he was in bed early. So, we hardly ever saw everyone until the weekend.
It was always known that eventually the guys would have to move out and it would just be Emily and I, but that was just in the back of my mind.
When we figured out that us moving to Kansas City, we gave the guys 2 months to move out, which would have been April 1st. The guys found a place to live and moved out March 1st. So, for the first time, I have no roommates. It is just Emily and I. Granted, I am 26 years old and there is no time like the present to start this new phase of my life.
Emily and I have not had time to even enjoy the peace and quiet yet. We have been going non-stop trying to get the house cleaned up after the guys moved out and ready to be sold.
So, here's to the next phase of my life. I am very excited, Emily and I are both at the point in our lives that we are settling down, neither one of us really go out much. We both love each other's company and enjoy the quiet nights watching American Idol. But there is a part of me that is just a tad bit sad to see the days of hanging out with the guys on Sunday's, making sure the couches don't move.


A quick update. Emily had her interview yesterday and she said it went well. It was a brand new elementary school and she said it was very nice. So, now we just sit and wait.

No comments: