Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Is it Sunday yet?

When Emily and a booked our vacation to the Dominican Republic two months ago, I never thought the week leading up to the vacation was going to be so stressful.
I am now working part time at Planet Cash. Herman, our assistant manager does a good job of running the store on a day-to-day basis. My main role is checking in and getting all the paperwork done and making sure no one is stealing from us. It has worked out really well for me since we are getting the house ready to sell.
I am leaving Thursday morning to drive to the Lake to drop off Winston at Mom’s, grab a kitchen table, then drive to Springfield, MO to meet with our investors Thursday night, and then back to St. Louis on Friday, and then Sunday at 6:00 am. We fly out of the country: and I shut off my cell phone. It really sounded liked a damn good plan.
While we are gone, the new floors in the kitchen and entryway are being put down and the house will be painted, so we will come home to a new house. In an effort to save some money, I said that I would get all the stuff off the walls and patch up the holes, then push all the furniture to the middle of the rooms.
We purchased new base cabinets for the other side of the kitchen, so I got those stained and Jimmy, our floor guy, is going to install those after he puts the floor down. We then bought new doors for the pantry, hall closet and both guest bedroom closets; so all the doors are matching 6-panel doors. So had to paint those this week. And of course when I go hang the doors up, something always goes wrong. My plan to: pop, pop, pop and the doors are done failed miserably after the first hour. (You see, our house used to be a rental and the rentals before I bought it tore the crap out of it, so the owners came in, flipped it and sold it. If you know anything about flipping a house, you know that they typically do it the cheapest, fastest way. I knew this three years ago when I purchased the house, and had planned on doing these improvements over time: But I figured cramming it all into 10 days would be much more fun). So, every quick project turns into an hour because I have to fix or replace what they had covered up.
The rush for me to have all this done before we leave is that I want to come home to a house that is ready to sell. I don’t want to sit my fat ass on the beach and worry about the doors that I need to hang when I get back. Oh yeah, I also have to replace boards on the deck so our painter can paint the deck. And I am sure that when I take up one board, the whole damn thing will fall.
All this is happening when Herman’s, our assistant manager, Grandmother passed away on Monday. So, my time to get the house ready has been slashed to cover the store. I know, I know, this is all part of owning a business and I accept that, doesn’t mean I can’t still bitch about it. So, I am sitting at the store, with our system down, which means there is not much work I can do here, thinking about all the crap I need to get done.
Justin now has to cover the store (which he has a full time job still at corporate) on Thursday, Friday and Monday. I had planned this trip during this time for tow reasons: 1. It is Emily’s Spring Break so she is off and 2. It is a slow time for the store and Herman can handle it while I am gone: But that plan backfired since Herman has to deal with the funeral and visitation, etc.
So, here’s to the nature of bad timing.

No comments: