Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Can we get a church?

It seems that our life has slowed down just a little bit, but not for long. Emily and I are forging ahead for our wedding on August 29th. (warning religious implications to follow)We are in a little bind to find a church that we can use. The issue is that we are having John King, my youth minister from Camdenton, and one of my greatest inspirational people in my life, officiate our service. John is a Baptist minister, which has shut the door on ½ the churches from the start. I have even called Baptist churches here and they have no interest in letting a person get married in their church with their own minister. I am a pretty religious man: I was a religion minor at one point and during college have worked as a youth minister at 2 different churches, and this is the reason that turns me away from church..not relgion..church. We have a young couple who loves the Lord and wants to get married in a church for the obvious religious implications and because we have our own minister to officiate the service, no church will work with us. Doesn’t seem very Christian to me, but hey, who am I to judge?


Alright, so off the religious talk. Yes, Emily and I are still in St. Louis, and we still have no clue when we are going to leave, if at all. We finally got to a point that we were ready to move ahead and purchase the store in Kansas City and the territory, so we called our investors, who a month and ½ ago were on board, and now they have seemed to get gun shy. So, we are back looking for investors. After 3 months of sitting around waiting, I am moving forward with the assumption that we are staying in St. Louis. On a personal level it is great. With Justin and Meg here and Mom hopefully on her way, and Emily’s family also. But, on a business level, Kansas City looks amazing, but just can’t seem to get everyone on board. My business partner has said that he will find an investor come “Hell or High Water,” but that water is rising awful fast.
Before this McAlister’s deal came about, I was looking into investment property and I once again open that door. Yes, yes, I know, now is not the time to sell. But, now is the time to buy and then rent. Justin has purchased a house that he be flipping and then renting. We will see what pans out for me, but it seems that is the direction I am heading.

Branson

This weekend finds Emily and I heading off to Branson, MO. We are going to strap on our cowboy boots and hats and watch 30 shows this weekend. No..not really. John King, who I mentioned early, is a youth pastor at a church there. We have been talking about going for 8 months, and this is the first weekend all of our schedules jive. I met John 8 or 9 years ago in Camdenton and we have remained in contact. Truly, one of the nicest people I have ever met. Emily and I enjoy the refreshing weekend of just watching him and Mikala together and to see how much they love each other. We really cherish the time we get to spend with the Kings.




2 comments:

Moksha Gren said...

On a personal note, I'm kinda glad for every day your departure to KC is delayed. Not looking forward to your leaving, bro. So, while I have my fingers crossed for ya...I'm not wishing TOO hard.

My closing got pushed back to sometime next week. Frustrating, but it give me a little more time to line up a contractor before I have to start shelling out money.

And I'll avoid commenting on your section about church. I always end up offending family when I talk publicly about such things ;)

Josh & Emily said...

YEAHHHHHHH! my first comment. Thanks brother. I now have proof that someone reads this blog..or at least skips to the bottom and post a comment..either way, I'll take it!
and my luck, as soon as I sign on this house, I will get the call, "Hey, our investors are back on board."