Monday, April 28, 2008

Sleep Tight: Don't Let the Bed Bugs Bite.

When I was a child up until 5 years ago, I would wake up a few times a year in a “blood curling” scream. I will have to paraphrase my brother on this one, because I do not remember waking up screaming. He said that he never understood the expression of “blood curling” scream until he heard me screaming. We shared a room until I was 12 and I woke a few times during the night screaming and Justin said that it was one of the most freighting things he has ever heard. Justin would just cover his head and pray that whatever was getting me, would not hear him breathing under the sheets.
The one time that the horrible scream actually woke me up was my sophomore year high school. I was at a party and ended up sleeping on the floor next to a bed of three girls. I wake up with this blood-curling scream and of course the girls wake up screaming. My scream did not wake me up, it was the girls screaming that woke me up, and scared me, so I am now screaming in a normal, “manlier” scream. I realized what happened rather quickly and just played stupid. The girls were trying to describe the horrible noise they just heard, and none of them would even think that such a horrible, high pitch noise could come out of a guy, so I played it off and said that I heard it as well and had no clue what it was. At this time everyone else in the house had ran up to see what the hell we were screaming at, the whole time, I am just playing stupid.
I am not sure what triggers these horrible sounds, but I have not had an “episode” in over 5 years. I have warned any roommate that I have had: just in case, and Emily knows about them and I really do feel sorry for her if I wake up screaming in the middle of the night: I really believe Emily will piss the bed and pass out.
So, moving forward. The past few weeks I have found myself waking up doing crazy things. Most of them I do not remember, but Emily tells me about them the next morning. Two weeks ago I woke up begging Emily not to move her elbow since our elbows were connected. This went on for a few minutes. Emily says that I seem wide awake, I scarcely remember this happening, but I remember that I was truly terrified that the skin on our conjoined elbows were going to rip apart.
Last week I woke up Emily yelling and pointed up at the ceiling fan. Emily tried to ask me if the fan was going to fall and I mumbled yes and fell back asleep. Last night I thought that I cut my self and woke up holding my right arm telling Emily that I am bleeding, and I do remember Emily handing me a tissue so not to get blood on the sheets. I turned the light on, expecting to see a bloody mess on my arm: nothing. I am laying in bed holding a tissue for my "bloody" arm feeling like an idiot.
I am going to wake up once and there really is going to be a problem and Emily will be convienced that I am just having issues. All the while, the evil monster in the closet will get her first.
Justin also has had issues with waking up and doing weird things in his sleep, so I am not sure if something is crazy in our mind, or if Mom just gave us booze for nap time and it is rattling around up there. I don’t want to dive into Justin’s crazy night terror, that is a whole different blog that he needs to write.

5 comments:

Moksha Gren said...

Yes, my wife has also gotten very used to my complete confidence that there is, say, a tiny little troll-man hiding behind the curtains. Or finding me frantically searching the floor around our bed for...I can't quite remmber now that you ask, honey...but I have to keep looking. I'll know it when I see it.

But I never let out a banshee wail ;)

Oddly, last night was a strange night for me. Kept waking up convinced the house was haunted...but then going right back to sleep.

Josh & Emily said...

We were dropped on our heads as kids

Anna said...

I have never heard of anything like that....kinda creepy.

I am here from Moksha's!

Anna said...

That is a cool wedding site! I am flying next week to shoot a wedding in Hawaii! I am so excited!

I am glad you come by blog and visit every now and then!

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials!

Anonymous said...

You were definatly dropped on your head. More than once!!!!