Tuesday, September 16, 2008

How does it feel to be married?

How does it feel to be married? Does it feel any different? The first time I was asked those questions was on the limo after the ceremony heading to the reception with a beer in my hand. The only thing that felt different at that point was the ring on my left hand. That following week we combined our checking accounts, and that made it a little more different and then today Emily officially changed her name to Emily Tyler and got her new driver’s license: that was exciting. Those are the physically things that have changed in our lives. So: that is the broad answer to what is different. But, how do I feel, what is different with me is a much bigger answer.


These past few weeks I have been thinking about what it means to be married, to have a wife, to take those vows that we took. It means so much more to me than just the ring on my finger, having a combined checking account and sharing a last name. (It means she has half my stuff). Stan, who leads the bible studies that I attend, told me that when you get married that is when you become a man. Now, for those guys who don’t get married you are S.O.L. ; you will stay little boys forever. But I think there is a certain about of truth to his statement. I don’t think marriage made me a man; it just made me a different man; a man with whole different set of priorities and a different outlook on life. Emily is no longer just a roommate who I share a bed with, she is my wife, and that takes on an entirely different light. She is the future mother of our children** , someone who stared me in the eye and promised to love me until death do us part. When I stood up there, in front of my closest friends and family and as God as our witness told Emily that I will love her until death to us part, it took on a whole different meaning on seriousness and commitment. I feel very blessed to have found a woman that is willing to and apparently wants to; spend the rest of her life with me. And that is something that I never want to forget nor take for granted


John King said during the ceremony that he wants to take the time to encourage us separately, and that will be the last time we are encouraged separately, we are one now. What I do affects Emily and visa versa. And that is a thought that never really crossed my mind before, although maybe it should have. It is not just Josh and Emily out there, it is the Tyler’s, and if the team doesn’t move together, it will fail. That is the profound difference to me: We are a team and we must move together. We no longer make decisions that are good for Josh or Emily, but for Us. And once we figure that out, this whole marriage thing will be a breeze!


**for those of you wondering when we are going to have kids: We are going to “talk” about it in a year. Not have kids in a year, just sit down and talk about it.**

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Josh, That was insightful. There are a lot of men that never are able to even grasp the concepts that you just eloquently laid out. My it be true that you will not only move forward as one, but that you will also do it well enough to show the rest of us how we also can do the same.