Wednesday, November 5, 2008

And I'm back

It is amazing what boredom can inspire a person to do. I have started to build stuff. I have never built anything in my life; outside of shop class in 7th grade (which Justin still uses the chair that I built)! Once Lange and I built the bar, I realized that I enjoyed building things and actually can do a pretty good job at it. The problem is that I don’t have a lot of the tools to build really cool stuff, so I have to stick to stuff that I can carpet and cover the crappy job that I do.

We bought a new bedroom set when we moved into the new house. The bed frame has 2 rows of built in drawers on all sides, which is really nice to have: but add that to our double pillow top mattress, it makes for our bed to be over 3 feet off the ground: which means short stubby Winston is no longer able to make the jump. Hell, short skinny Emily can hardly make the jump. Russ, my father-in-law, brought up the point that when Emily is pregnant there will be no way in hell that she will be able to make it up on the bed. Now, my first solution was for Emily to sleep on the couch, but when that didn’t yield the laughter I expected; I immediately started the plans for the stairs.

As cheap as I have become, I was able to use extra wood from the 2x4 and Justin had a lot of wood that was perfect for the actual stair and the back of the stairs,(called the riser) so all in all the investment in the stairs was very low. I knew that I had to build stairs that were not just okay for Winston, but a pregnant Emily. I drew up a couple of different layouts for the stairs. It took about 5 different measurements to get the right size and spacing. I did not want them to be too steep, but if they were too much at a sloap, they would extend over 3 feet. They ended up only being about 2 feet long and a little less than 3 feet tall.

I quickly realized that you have to get EVERY stupid measurement right, or the whole stair case is off, even if I was only building 4 steps. Being new into the whole world of carpentry, I made a few mistakes, but they were easily fixed, and if not, they will be covered with carpet. I am actually real happy with how they turned out. They are very study: Emily and I both can stand on them. Winston can now make it up on the bed and Emily won’t have to sleep on the couch when she is pregnant.

Here are some pictures; I still need to carpet them, so bear with me.




I took these pictures at night while Emily was sleeping, sorry for the dark pictures.
JOB SEARCH

For those interested, the job search continues. It does begin to wear on a person when you send out what seems like hundreds of applications to only get a few call backs. Apparently a Loan Shark is not the experience they are looking for. My goal is to apply to at least one new job a day. I have had many calls for jobs where I am out on the streets every day knocking on business doors asking what paper products they use. Those are the people that we ask to leave our store on a weekly basis, not really the job that I am looking for. Insurance agents also seem to be in high demand. I get lots of emails and calls for that. I have a few promising leads out there and hopefully one of them pans out.

So, in the mean time I will find little projects to do. Emily always seems to have a list of things that keeps me busy through out the day. I also have the difficult task of making sure the couch doesn’t move, which is very tiring and requires a nap on occasion.


I am actually back at working at Planet Cash part time. Justin is still there every day, but we have hit a point when we need some help making collection calls and someone to help with customers on certain days. So, I will be making collection calls, mainly from home, and heading up to the store one or two days a week to help out. So, i appoligize in advance for being in a crank ass mood, collection calls are no fun, and put anyone who does them for a period of time in a bad mood. But, that is part of the business and we have to get our money back.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day and hopefully more projects to come!

No comments: