Monday, August 25, 2008

Growing up sucks

Since 8th grade I have always had my ears pierced. I remember when guys were finally allowed to wear earrings to school, and my brother rushed out and got his pierced, but I had to wait until I was older. I have had 2 in my left and one in the top right ear, just one in the left, and then about 6 years ago I pierced my right one, and have worn an earring in each ear since. In college I kept thinking that one day I will take them out when I get a “real” job, but I have yet to have a job that requires that I take them out. I asked a friend when is too old to have earrings, and she told me that they look good on me, they are my style and that most guys my age couldn’t wear them. But, I also don’t want to look like that old guy who still tries to look cool and hip wearing earrings and saying “Gnarly” to all the high school kids.
I did meet with a job recruiter last Friday and I did take them out for that, which was the first time in years that I took them out. So, I started thinking about leaving them out for good. The marriage seems like a good point in my life to look more professional. A good turning point, get married, buy a new house, think about a family, take earrings out. But low and behold I put them back in Friday night. Emily likes it better when I do not wear them: but she also is not a big fan of tattoos, long hair and beards. So I figured since I no longer have long hair, nor my beard (oh how I miss you so); 2 out of 4 is a great comprise. After all, she won’t shave her head like I want her to. Ha.
So, as I look for jobs I am coming to the realization that I might actually find a job that will make me take them out, and I would have to do so.
So, what do you think? Am I that old guy who needs to grow up, or are they “my style?”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is my opinion for whatever it is worth. I love love love studs on men, all ages of men. I especially like them in older men. It shows they are comfortable in their own skins, know what they like and don't let other people sway them. I see dr.'s, lawyers, etc. with them in their ears and don't think people feel the way they used to years ago. If you feel that strongly about them you should keep them in your ears and wear them proudly. I think they are sexy!!!
Love you bunches, Aunt Connie

Moksha Gren said...

I'm probably not a very impartial opinion here...but I say keep em. We are the generation that normalized earings, that means the age at which it starts looking weird to wear earrings just keeps getting older right along with us. Meg hates my piercings, has wanted them gone since I met her. And yet they are still here. Even if a job made me take them out during the day, they'd be right back in for the drive home. But that's me.

Anonymous said...

I say take them out. It was cool when we were in high school not when we are 26 years old!
Your soon to be wife,
Emily

Josh & Emily said...

Thanks for the opinions! I have a feeling they might be sticking around.