Monday, December 15, 2008

Don't call me a fair weather fan

It’s hard to be a fan…
As many of you know, I am huge football fan, and have been all my life. I would almost call it my religion. As a child I collected Starting Line-ups : at one time I had one for every team. On Sunday I would get out the ones from the teams that were playing and I would grab my yellow wash cloth that was my referee flag and watch football all day. The ritual still continues, just without the flag, although I would like to have a yellow flag again.


The San Francisco 49ers have always been my team and to this day are still my favorite (hence the Man Cave). For those of you who are wondering how I became a 49er fan: It was Jerry Rice. He was my hero growing up, I always wanted to be a wide receiver and at the time, and currently, the best receiver to ever play the game. I have stuck with my team through the past 5 losing, it gets though, but I fight through it.


The past 5 years I have become a very large Chiefs fan. When the 49ers and Chiefs play, I still cheer for the 49ers. A couple of years ago I purchased season tickets and began making the long drive to KC from St. Louis on home games. When they had away games, I will be up at Game Day, since they have all the games televised. Emily loves football season, just ask her. Ha
This season has been really tough for my football heart. One Sunday this year have both of my teams won. The Chiefs are currently 2-12 and the 49ers are 5-12. The Chiefs have lost 6 games by 7 points or less this year and the 49ers are improving every game, but this slow process really wears at your fan-hood. It is even tougher when you have to drive 3 hours to see your team loose every time.


This past Sunday, as true fans we are, get to the stadium at 8:30 to tailgate. When we got to the stadium it was 62 degrees outside. At 10:30, we felt a big gust of wind and by 11:00 it was 34 degrees. It had to be one of the craziest weather experiences I have been through. Then the cold rain starts. I can handle cold and I can handle rain, but 32 degrees with rain is not a good environment to be in, especially for the Chiefs. So, we packed up and headed to a bar to watch the Chiefs blow a 16 point in one quarter and lose their 12th game of the season. The one thing no one can call accuse me of is being a fair weather fan. I have stuck by both my teams for past few horrible seasons, I keep on cheering and proudly showing my colors, but it is getting harder and harder.


The good news is that we switched to Direct TV (we saved $60 month and have more channels) and for the last 2 weeks of the season, I get the NFL Sunday Package, which shows every NFL game. I will get to watch the Chiefs and the Niners on the same Sunday from the comfort on my own Man Cave for the first time ever. Needless to say, I am just a little bit excited.

Until Next time: Keep on Keeping on…mrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

2 comments:

Prairie Life Personal Trainers said...

I don't know how you can say you are not a fair weather fan?! You were there at the chiefs game this sunday, having a great time. But a little wind, rain, and hard nipples sent you running for the inside. So that makes my point: once the weather turns bad Josh is out can't count on him.

Where was i last sunday?.......Fighting Josh through the door of the bar to get inside the fastest. It was freakin' cold!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.